Let’s face it. Our lives have been turned upside-down thanks to COVID-19. Even now, we are limited in the recreational activities that we can participate in, which causes us to spend more time at home. While spending more time at home may protect us from contracting the virus, it can open us up to more issues that some of us may forget about or not even consider. The issue at present is mold growing in your home.
As the weather gets cooler, especially if you live in a humid climate or have a basement, damper conditions can create an environment conducive to mold. Not only can mold cause structural damage to your home, but it can also adversely affect your health. If you suspect your home may be susceptible to mold issues, perhaps it is time to seek the help of a mold certified inspector. An inspector can use his/her expertise to spot possible mold growth that you may not see, even if it is located under floorboards or inside walls.
Signs of Mold Growth
Here are some tell-tale signs that you may have a mold problem where an inspector should be called.
- Allergies – If you notice allergies flaring up, especially in certain areas of your home, it could be a sign of mold growth.
- Musty Odor – If you notice a funny smell like an old cellar, there is most likely a mold issue. In fact, a “moldy smell” is one of the surest signs that mold is present. It is a recognizable odor, and you should call a mold certified inspector right away.
- Water Stains – Water stains not only tell you that you have a moisture problem, but that problem is a petri dish for mold. Water stains can also be a sign that mold is already growing above the stain or somewhere nearby.
- Buckling – If you notice buckling in the walls, floors, or ceiling, it is a sign that moisture has gotten into these areas. Paint cracking is also a good indicator.
When It’s Time to Call an Inspector
Whether you live alone or have family, these indicators are a good sign that you should call an inspector to check your air quality. Mold growth can occur in the cleanest of houses, so there is nothing to be embarrassed or feel guilty about. For the sake of your health and/or your family’s health, call a mold certified inspector if you suspect your home may have become contaminated with mold.